Monday, August 4, 2008

Journal 6

Marcovitz, D, & Son, J (August 2008). Point/Counterpoint-Is Educational Technology Shortening Student Attention Spans?. Learning and Leading, Retrieved August 4, 2008, from http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Publications/LL/LLIssues/Volume3620082009/AugustNo1/36108m.pdf.
This article was looking at two different viewpoints in answering the question of whether or not technology is shortening the attention spans of students. The first response of “yes” was given by David Marcovitz, who thinks that children have become accustomed to receiving everything, both educational material and tangible things, almost instantaneously. Marcovitz believes that students are no longer capable of being patient and that “deep thought and attention to important matters is what is absent in the fast-paced world of educational technology”. The other counterpoint to this response is made by John David Son who thinks that technology in education is teaching students to multitask easily. He feels as though learning through technology masks the fact that students are in school “doing work” when they feel as though they are actually having fun. Opposed to the traditional pen and pencil method of learning, Son felt that a class taking notes seemed “disengaged and disconnected...they were only on the receiving end of the information”. I think that the two authors brought up two very good arguments. Some children need to learn the lesson of patience an realize that in the “real world” there are lines to wait in, red tape to plow through and other speed bumps that will prevent you from getting to the finish line. On the other hand, I think that incorporating technology is a great way to tackle not so fun areas of the curriculum where teachers are begging for something fun for their students so that they will be engaged in the classroom.

What will my expectations be for technology use in the classroom?
-Even if a student claims that he or she can get their reading done, listen to their iPod and instant message simultaneously, I’m not allowing it. I think that there is something to be said for having the ability to focus on a task without distracting yourself with outside tools.

How will make my classroom environment harmonious while finding a balance between too much technology and not enough?
-I will combine a number of activities a day that challenge both their patience and let them test their creativity. My biggest fear is that I will contribute more to a population of young adults who are constantly “plugged in”. So what if they can download music and text all in one device. I want to make sure that they have the skills to communicate their thoughts effectively to their peers, future teachers, and family without having to “google” it. On the other hand, I don’t want my kids drool to gather on their desks. I think the internet has done wonders for learning and I will use it in my classroom, not abuse it.

No comments: